Sunday, December 15, 2019

Meyer Lemon Avocado Toast

test1

Meyer Lemon Avocado Toast


The other way to get a good-looking, fresh loaf of bread is to use a bag of white flour (the kind that you use in your bagels) that has been soaked for several hours. You can then use it in many other recipes, but I just use it in my bread. For the toast, I used a mixture of the two. If you're looking for a more traditional toast, just soak the white flour for 2 hours in water, then transfer to a bowl (in a very large bowl) and add the water/flour mixture and whisk together.




Once mixed, it should look like this:


And this is how it will look once it is out of the fridge for an hour:


I then use this to make my bread and put it in my microwave for an hour to melt (or heat) the butter. When the butter is melted, I then add the eggs and a teaspoon of sugar or maple syrup and whisk it again. You can also add the salt at this point if you've chosen not to use regular yeast or flour, although I find it better to go with plain water.


I then add about a teaspoon of salt to a cup of very warm water (not hot, just warm) and add about a cup to the flour and eggs, whisking as I go. I do not put the sugar or syrup directly into the water, but instead into a small bowl, or in a large bowl with a small spoon, and I do add the salt as I stir. If you want to add any other ingredient to the water, I just pour it in the flour/egg mixture, stir it gently and then add the other ingredient, whisking as I go, then adding the salt to the water. I just keep stirring and stirring in a really long stream. Once you have the bread to your liking, it's time to set the bread.


I do like a good soft, slightly crispy bread, so I just put it in the bread machine for about 15 minutes. I like to use the 'firm' setting (as this helps hold the crust together). I then open the lid and let it sit for an hour, stirring regularly and watching it closely (and sometimes turning it over in my oven to see if anything is sticking to it that I didn't notice on the previous step). You have to do this to make a very good, crusty, golden-brown bread. I don't use a bread machine. The oven does not have the same effect with a bread machine.


Once you've set the bread, the time in the refrigerator will be up. It's ready! I put it on a sheet pan (so I can use the rest of the loaf) and then put it in the freezer (I like to have bread to eat on the side).

No comments:

Post a Comment